“Listen to my prayer, O God. Do not ignore my cry for help! Please listen and answer me, for I am overwhelmed by my troubles. My enemies shout at me, making loud and wicked threats. They bring trouble on me and angrily hunt me down. My heart pounds in my chest. The terror of death assaults me. Fear and trembling overwhelm me, and I can’t stop shaking. Oh, that I had wings like a dove; then I would fly away and rest! I would fly far away to the quiet of the wilderness. How quickly I would escape— far from this wild storm of hatred.” Psalms 55:1-8 NLT
Do you ever feel overwhelmed with adverse circumstances? At times, life can be, seemingly, out of control. In those moments we experience varied emotions that sometimes take us to a place of despair. In response, we cry out to God for rescue. Everything else pales in comparison to that moment and we simply want to escape it. We long to find rest. Weary from the struggle, we yearn for peace. If only life would stop being so difficult. In those moments it is critical to remain steadfast and unmovable. There is no pit that He is not deeper. Cornelia Arnolda Johanna, better known as Corrie Ten Boom, was a Dutch woman who's family assisted Jews in escaping the Nazi's during the time of the Holocaust (WW II). She and her sister, Betsie, were sent to Ravensbrück concentration camp. There, she and her sister endured the horrors of such a place. Her sister died while there, but shortly afterward, Corrie was miraculously set free by some clerical error. She would later author a book titled "The Hiding Place". In 1975, a film was produced by James F. Collier about her story, with the same title.
Here are some of her quotes:
• "Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties today of its strength"
• "Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God"
• "When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don’t throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer"
• “If you look at the world, you’ll be distressed. If you look within, you’ll be depressed. But if you look at Christ, you’ll be at rest"
• "You can never learn that Christ is all you need, until Christ is all you have"
• "There is no pit so deep, that God’s love is not deeper still"
Leave a Reply.
Rev. Curtis Norris